Asian Noodle Salad


Asian Noodle Salad
The 4th of July is right around the corner – how does it happen every holiday every year seems to sneak up on me? I mean, it’s not like I have some crazy busy social life to keep up with. It’s summer. I’m lounging at the pool and taking it easy. Right?

Well, if by lounging you mean corralling my small children at the community pool and keeping them from shooting old ladies and their books with assault style squirt guns, then yes, I’m lounging. I’m also spending an inordinate amount of time coming up with cocktails.

Intrigued? Unfortunately, the cocktail I’m talking about is one for hair product mixture that will keep my unruly mop somewhat intact in humidity.

These two things alone are seriously practically a full-time job. Add in keeping up with all of the Real Housewives and  trying to figure out how to make friends while my hair is frizzed and my children are obnoxious and really, I am quite busy, I don’t care what anyone says.

According to the Pioneer Woman, this salad changed her life and made her popular. Well, there it is, I had to make it. If it worked for her, shouldn’t it also work for me? Of course she went on to say it didn’t really but I’m an optimist and choose to believe she was just being modest.

I modified the vegetables based on two things: availability and the fact that I was feeling lazy about chopping in my hot kitchen. Who decides to do a 3 hour self-clean oven cycle when it’s 94 degrees outside? Um, that would be me. So on this particular day, I’m quite sure it was approaching eight gazillion degrees in my kitchen based on my heat index which I measure in frizziness. Scientific? No. But it works for me.

I tried a new product as I’m watching carbs. I say that a lot. But this time I really mean it. Of course that probably means I should figure out the math they use when talking about net carbs  but it’s too hot for that now and there are two Housewives series running along with the Next Food Network Star. Math will have to wait.  The Dreamfields Healthy Carb pasta cooked up perfectly. It was a little bit sticker in the colander than full carb pasta, but after rinsing it and then tossing it with the dressing, it tasted and felt just like regular pasta.

Asian Noodle Salad
Slightly adapted from The Pioneer Woman

For the salad
1 lb linguine, cooked, rinsed and cooled
1 package California slaw – this is a mixture of cabbage, broccoli and carrots
1 package broccoli slaw
1/2 bag Baby Spinach, Or More To Taste
1 red bell pepper, sliced
1 yellow pepper, sliced
Handful of  chopped cilantro
3 green onions, sliced
2 cucumbers, sliced and peeled if you like
Salted cashews for garnish


For the dressing
Juice of 1 lime
8 tbs canola oil
8 tbs soy sauce
2 tbs sesame oil
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 tbs fresh ginger, minced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1-2  jalapenos, seeds and vein removed, chopped
2 tbs cilantro, chopped

Toss salad ingredients together except for cashews.

In small bowl, whisk together dressing ingredients and pour over salad. Top with cashews.

Note: If you’re making the salad ahead of time, leave the cilantro out of the dressing until just before tossing salad. By the way, this is the perfect salad to bring to any 4th of July gathering. It can be made ahead and travels well and without any mayonnaise, it's perfect for picnics, BBQs and as my fellow east coasters say, cookouts.


Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Michelle,

    I am working with a brand to build an engaging content community that covers topics relating to parenting, fitness and health, recipes, fashion, beauty, home decor, party planning and crafts.

    We’ve taken a read through your blog and we think you’ve done a fantastic job covering topics that our brand's audience would also be interested in covering. It would be great if you could join our community to help educate, inform and converse with those other parents who are writing about this topic.

    If you would like to learn more about this, please send an email to info@atomicreach.com

    Thanks,
    Annette
    Annette Wong
    Atomic Reach, Inc. | 129 Spadina Ave., Suite 301 | Toronto, Ontario | M5V 2L3 | Canada | annettewong@atomicreach.com | 416 505 2145 | www.atomicreach.com|

    ReplyDelete