Faux Marlboro Man Sandwich - Cube Steak & Caramelized Onion Sandwich

Today I have grounded myself from Pinterest. No one should spend that much time looking at stuff I'll never make, have or do. And really I have plenty to do without all of that temptation.

Somehow yesterday I found myself clicked over to one of those sites where you could make your own funny cards and guess what? I was totally cracking myself up - which my sister tells me is not all that attractive, but whatever. Anyway, I wasted an embarrassing amount of time making cards that no one will ever see because they were a little on the mean side. Okay, a lot on the mean side. It was a rough day.

One thing that pops up on the Pin all the time is the Marlboro Man sandwich. That sandwich has actually kind of stalked me for a while but the 2 sticks of butter kind of scared me - not because it wouldn't be good but because I'm pretty sure my husband would want that sandwich every day then have a heart attack and leave me alone to raise these children. I don't care how much ranch work you're doing, that's too much butter. And for the record? My husband nor myself do ranch work.

I also did this in the slow cooker because I find cube steak to be rather temperamental and oftentimes very tough. This is a great recipe to double or triple and serve to a crowd.

Faux Marlboro Man Sandwich
Adapted from Pioneer Woman

1-1/2 lbs cube steaks
McCormick Montreal Steak Seasoning to taste
1 Vidalia onion
4 tbs butter, divided
1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp Beef Better than Bouillon
4-5 dashes of hot sauce - I like Frank's Red Hot
1 tsp sugar
4 slices mozzarella cheese
4 sandwich rolls


  1. Season steaks with seasoning on both sides. Cut against the grain into strips. 
  2. Brown over medium high heat in a skillet - cast iron browns meat best.
  3. Slice onion and put in slow cooker with 2 tbs butter.
  4. Add cooked steak to onions, reserving drippings in skillet.
  5. In skillet with the drippings, add remaining 2 tbs of butter, Worcestershire sauce, Better than Bouillon, hot sauce and sugar. Bring to a boil and reduce heat, scraping the pan to loosen all the brown bits. Let simmer together about 5 minutes and then pour over meat and onion mixture.
  6. Cover and cook on low 4 hours.
  7. Serve meat, onions and sauce on toasted buns with cheese.
Enjoy!


1 comment:

  1. This sandwich looks seriously amazing! Best my husband doesn't see it either, because he will want it every day! (And so will I!)

    ReplyDelete